[OTR Announce] Meet me in New Zealand; LIVE From Nowhere Update

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine OTRAnnounce at overtherhine.com
Sun Feb 26 12:57:31 EST 2006

Hello from Nowhere,

It's a beautiful winter morning in Southern Ohio, bright, crisp and cold.
Elroy and I walked on the paths, and he's had his breakfast. We saw no rabbits.
Karin is about to put the coffee on. The house is waking up slowly.

The winter Olympics hockey final is LIVE on TV. Finland vs Sweden - all
Scandinavia glued to their televisions for the gold medal game, with powerhouses
Russia, USA and Canada eliminated. Karin and I have had the winter games on in
the background for the last few weeks. Bobsledding, ski jumping and aerials,
ice dancing, figure skating, curling, speed skating… We of course enjoy
providing our own commentary.

Ice dancing: For this next combination, turn if you will to page 42 of the
Kama Sutra.

Luge: Man, it's just your ass and a coupla blades.

Speed skating: This is the Mennonite girl from Canada. She's won 5 medals. My
sister Grace told me about her…

I went to high school in Canada. The Canadians taught me to skate on those
beautifully lit hockey rinks out on the after dark prairies. (I took the
occasional slap shot to the knee.) They taught me to ski in Banff. In Phys Ed, we
walked down town, picked up those odd brooms and learned all about curling. I can
appreciate the winter Olympics.

***

We're packing our bags today and leaving for New Zealand in the morning.
We're terribly excited about this trip. I haven't been outside of the country
since my trip to visit Jack and Hazel and Finlay in Scotland during Christmas of
2003.

New Zealand is a special place for me, not only because it's truly one of the
most beautiful places on earth, but because it was there that I decided to
start a band. Friends of ours, Sandie and Owen, were playing a festival outside
of Wellington and somehow invited me along to play bass. Standing in those
mountains in front of 400 kids in the rain who refused to leave reminded me that
music was home for me. I wanted to write some songs and see if people would
ever care enough about them to stand in the rain and listen. A few months later,
back in Ohio, Over the Rhine began recording a handful of first demos. Now,
finally, this music is going to take us back to Wellington to the New Zealand
International Arts Festival for five performances. We're playing a festival in
Keri Keri, and stopping in Auckland for various appearances. Sometimes you
just have to raise a glass on a Sunday Morning and celebrate the small victories.

I think we're going to make Mimosas.

***

Uh oh, I hear Karin whooping it up in the living room. Sweden must have
scored.

Well, just the news and then I need to go open the suitcase and start filling
it with summer clothing. (Yes!)

The Limited Edition LIVE CD's didn't make it to the farm in time for us to
sign them, so that will all have to happen when we return from New Zealand.
Sorry for the delay. They will all be shipped out at the end of March.

If you'd still like to order a copy of “Live From Nowhere, Volume One” go to
Overtherhine.com. You can see the track listing, the artwork and also check
out a few MP-3's for a little striptease. We think you're going to like this
special collection that reminds us of a wonderful year on the road with a great
band and crew and the world's best music fans to boot.

In May we'll be touring the West Coast and parts of the Midwest. A band
called HEM is planning on joining us. Stay tuned at overtherhine.com for more info
on that. The working title for the tour is “Gorgeously Stoned On You” but
whether or not that sticks is anyone's guess.

I think I heard my first Kildeer last night, so Spring can't be too far away.
That means we'll be seeing you soon.

You are missed,

Linford Detweiler

P.S. Karin Bergquist says: A cup of coffee in the morning and the Swedish
Hockey Team, not bad. That little thing about winning the gold medal doesn't hurt
either.

Life is good.