[OTR Announce] Happy Thanksgiving from Over the Rhine

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Tue Nov 24 14:22:59 EST 2009

Hello extended musical family,

Happy Thanksgiving! Might want to sit down, pour a glass of something
good and get cozy.

Over the Rhine arrived safely home from the West Coast. A wonderfully
warm, SOLD OUT crowd awaited us in Denver at the Soiled Dove. Thanks to
all of you for making us feel so welcome and for your generosity. We’re
already lookin’ forward to next time. (And special thanks to our many
friends and workshop alumni from Santa Fe who attended!)

We love The State Room in SLC and hope to return more often – thanks to
all of you who found us – our biggest crowd ever in beautiful Salt
Lake. And we’re still smiling about all the friendly, helpful girls in
Temple Square.

Largo in Los Angeles is a great little room – there’s talk of us doing
a Friday and Saturday next time. San Francisco – you all were
incredible. (Karin’s Swedish cousins were well-represented at this
one.) And the tour wound down with a SOLD OUT show in Portland (they
made 50 extra tix available Friday night and squeezed ‘em in) and two
SOLD OUT shows in Seattle at the beautiful Triple Door.

I think (maybe for the first time ever?) the last night of the tour
might have been our best. Jake and Mickey and Kenny continue to
surprise us with their ability to dig deep musically. (And thanks to
our crew: Colm, Nick, JP and Greer for covering all those miles with
us.)

Yes, we are thankful. We are blessed that you, the people who have
found this music, have given these songs such a good life for so long.
It’s been satisfying to watch it all grow, slow and steady, little by
little, year after year like a well-planted tree.

And so we say it again, Thank You.

It’s a gray, misty day here on the farm. We planted six pine trees when
we got back: two Norway Spruces, three white pines and a Canadian
Hemlock. It gets sort of monochromatic out here after all the leaves
come down, so it’s nice to see more splashes of evergreen in November.

But it’s not all roses and champagne. Our house was built in the
1830’s, which means it’s an ongoing, lifelong project (like most of the
things we choose). There’s a problem with one of our box gutters, and
while we were gone one of our brick walls began absorbing too much
water – we think (?). So I had to open the trap door behind the couch
and slide down into the crawl space and explore the underbelly of the
pre-Civil war house. It’s a good thing I’m long and lean, because I can
barely fit under there. I soon start feeling like Charles Bronson’s
character in The Great Escape as I stare at the floor joists unable to
roll over. Of course, there’s always the possibility of waking up a
sluggish 5’ black snake, but that thankfully did not happen, and I met
no aggressive spiders or other surprises. But a couple of rooms in our
lovely old house now smell like rotting cabbage and that remains
something of a mystery. We have a carpenter coming out in the morning
to help snoop around.

We’ll see some family and a few friends this week, and then before we
know it, Sunday will be here and Over the Rhine will be on the road
once again. We will leave our unfinished business behind. We’ll all
meet up in Philadelphia for a nightcap and then start the December leg
of the tour, which promises to be a good ride.

After we played in Denver, we rec’d a beautiful letter from a listener
who said,
“I felt my soul being pieced back together while you played.”

May that be a blessing for all of us: As the year winds down, may we
feel our souls being pieced back together.

Another listener at Seattle’s Sunday night show wrote and said, “I’ve
listened to Drunkard’s Prayer until it was worn to a polish like a
string of rosary beads – each song a prayer for the Desperate and
Hopeful.”

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Let’s find each other, and gather all of us in a room, the desperate,
the hopeful, anyone who longs for their soul to be pieced back
together: All are welcome here.

We’ll be lookin’ for you.

Peace like a river,

Linford and Karin of Over the Rhine

**

OVER THE RHINE IN CONCERT

(Pls note: for many of these concerts, tickets are available directly
through OvertheRhine.com with very low service fees. And just an aside,
there are $15 balcony seats available for our Taft Theatre Homecoming
Concert.)

November 30, Monday, Philadelphia, PA, WORLD CAFÉ (Special guest, Lucy
Wainwright Roche)
December 1, Tuesday, New York City, NY, HIGHLINE BALLROOM (Special
guest, Lucy Wainwright Roche)

December 2, Wednesday, Tarrytown, NY, TARRYTOWN MUSIC HALL (Co-Headline
with Vienna Teng)
December 4, Friday, Boston, MA, BERKLEE PERFORMANCE CENTER (Co-Headline
with Vienna Teng)
December 5, Saturday, Old Saybrook, CT, KATHARINE HEPBURN CULTURAL ARTS
CENTER (Co-Headline with Vienna Teng)
December 6, Sunday, Albany, NY, THE EGG (Co-Headline with Vienna Teng)
December 8, Tuesday, Washington, DC, THE SYNAGOGUE (Co-Headline with
Vienna Teng)

MIDWEST:
December 10, Thursday, Kent, OH, KENT STAGE (Special guest, Lucy
Wainwright Roche)
December 11, Friday, Ann Arbor, MI, THE ARK (Special guest, Lucy
Wainwright Roche)
December 12, Saturday, Chicago, IL, OLD TOWN SCHOOL OF FOLK MUSIC (TWO
SHOWS, 7pm and 10pm!) (Special guest, Lucy Wainwright Roche)

December 19, Saturday, Cincinnati, OH, THE TAFT THEATRE, Over the
Rhine’s annual holiday homecoming concert. Tickets on sale now at
OvertheRhine.com, Taft Theatre Box Office, Ticketmaster etc! Since it’s
still our 20th Anniversary, we’re going to settle in for the evening
and play two extended sets of music. Hope you can join us!

December 20, Sunday Soiree, Cincinnati, OH, ST. ELIZABETH’S IN NORWOOD:

Karin and Linford would like to invite you to join Over the Rhine on
Sunday, December 20th at 3pm at St. Elizabeth's, 1757 Mills Ave.,
Norwood, Ohio, 45212, for a holiday gathering featuring an acoustic
performance, some spoken word, some conversation and of course some
festive food and drink. (This gathering takes place the day after our
Taft Theatre holiday homecoming concert, as we bask in the afterglow so
to speak.)

We have had so much fun with this the last four years in a row. It’s a
great way to end our working year, surrounded by our extended musical
family, sharing a little timeless holiday cheer. And if you’d like to
have an OtR gift signed for someone, we’ll be at your service. See
OvertheRhine.com for more details.

(Price of admission entitles you to bring a guest OR your spouse and
children.)

Check out OvertheRhine.com for more info.

OVER THE RHINE FLEA MARKET!

And a reminder that we have the following readily available as you
remind people later this year that you care about them with a little
something special/unexpected. All these potential gifts are $20 or less
and can be shipped directly to your loved one:

We have two full-length Christmas/New Years/Wintertime CD’s:

The Darkest Night of the Year (recently re-packaged in a beautiful
digipak): $14.99
(Includes traditional carols and original songs all sepia-filtered
through the vintage Over the Rhine lens.)

Snow Angels: $14.99
(Includes new favorites All I Ever Get For Christmas is Blue, White
Horse, New Redemption Song, We’re Gonna Pull Through, and many more…)

The Trumpet Child Songbook: 126 pages of music and love, our first
ever. $19.95
(Includes many previously unpublished photographs and an extended essay
by Linford Detweiler, in which he unwraps early childhood memories and
finds the inevitable crumb trail leading directly to this most recent
collection of songs.)

The Trumpet Child: $14.99
(The heart of our current repertoire, this collection continues to sell
steadily. Contains new OtR classics I Don’t Wanna Waste Your Time,
Trouble, I’m On A Roll, The Trumpet Child and many more. Share it with
someone not yet familiar with OtR.)

Live From Nowhere Volume Four: $19.99
(Over the Rhine comes alive! This double disc set documents the very
special reunion concert with Ric Hordinski and Brian Kelley (and many
friends) last December at The Taft, as we unpacked the first decade of
our recordings. A great introduction to Over the Rhine’s formative
years, and the excitement that surrounded those early days.)

OHIO: Still only $14.99
(This double album was recently named one of the 50 best/most
influential of the last decade by Paste Magazine. These original songs
are a celebration of the music that Karin and Linford grew up with in
small Ohio coal-mining towns: Rock-n-roll, Gospel, Country and Western,
Bluegrass etc.)

Drunkard’s Prayer: $14.99
(Possibly Over the Rhine’s most intimate record – recorded in the
living room of the Grey Ghost with upright basss, piano, acoustic
guitar, cello etc. An enduring collection of songs that explore the
hard-won victories and survival of a long-term relationship/lifelong
fling.)

Good Dog Bad Dog: $14.99
(Recently repackaged in a beautiful digipak, this is our little record
that could. Contains OtR classics Latter Days, All I Need Is
Everything, Etcetera Whatever, Jack’s Valentine and much more.)

OtR on VINYL: $9.99
(Both Snow Angels and The Trumpet Child are available on vinyl for the
young and hip, for the audiophile in your life, for the old-school
collector that needs a portable record player spinning on the porch on
a summer night, a string of bare lightbulbs glowing nearby, moths drunk
with illumination.)

Linford Detweiler’s Solo Piano recordings: $14.99
(These recordings continue to find their way to amazing places. Most
recently, inner-city students in Chicago eat their lunches quietly
while this music plays. And a mother plays the tunes often for her
unborn baby who then falls asleep to it every evening after making his
arrival on earth. If you need someone dreaming outloud at a piano near
you, some unobtrusive companionship, a backdrop for the poems you’re
writing or the paintings in progress that are wrestling you to the
ground, consider these primitive collections of songs without words.)

20th Anniversary OtR Blend Coffee: $12.50
(Chuck roasted us a new blend for our 20th. We’ve been drinking it here
on the farm. Wow. He will roast it fresh and ship it to you or directly
to a friend.  Dark, full-bodied, soft cinammon notes and an unexpected
twist at the finish.)

Live From Nowhere Volume Three: $14.99, OR FREE with any $30 purchase
while they last.
(Contains Live Recordings of Don’t Wait For Tom, I’m On A Roll, Nothing
Is Innocent and much more…)

And there is a smattering of frame-able posters, and OtR clothing to
sort through. Think of it as a church basement rummage sale. We do
appreciate your support.

Please see OvertheRhine.com for all the goods.

Please share this newsletter freely with friends and family close by or
in a distant city. E-mail it, scribble a note on it and put it in a
first-class envelope, copy a line or two on a humorous picture
postcard, drop a page into the ocean and watch it sink slowly, the ink
bleeding into blue, an inquisitive fish rising from below, one eye on
you, one on her watery world. Post it on a bulletin board on campus at
Berklee School of Music with the Berklee date highlighted, as if to
say, There’s this band from Ohio, that’s gonna show you a thing or two,
about changing the oil, in the engine of a song… (Hee hee. Oh yeah.)
Tape it discreetly in a bathroom stall at a seminary in Kentucky, a
little unexpected reading near the toilet. And finally, our favorite,
we apologize that we went a little over four pages this time, all
together now, Place a fresh copy on the floor of the gilded cage and
let the white doves crap all night long.

xoxo,

Over the Rhine