[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine: Let's Make A Record Update

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Thu Apr 29 14:49:54 EDT 2010

Hello again friends,

We’re sitting here in a coffeehouse on a spring day in Evanston, IL,
next to the campus of Northwestern, a fresh breeze blowing in off the
lake. You can feel the energy of the university in the air. I think I
would have thrived in a university environment. But I chose the life of
the writer and performer and despite the accompanying craziness it’s a
good fit. I am where I belong.

(And besides, we get to visit…)

Last night we were trading stories again with Lucy Wainwright Roche – a
born storyteller. Yes, this life does get in your blood.

Well, where do I begin? Not quite a week ago we announced that we were
going to start recording the next Over the Rhine project in South
Pasadena, CA, this May 17, with producer Joe Henry. We asked if there
were any of you who had found our music who might be willing to partner
directly with us on this next chapter.

We had the idea that maybe we could make this new Over the Rhine record
together—a record that we can’t quite imagine.

Oh my goodness.

The outpouring of your support has been truly inspiring. Thank you,
thank you, thank you.

Thank you for your letters, notes, stories, asides. Thank you for your
generosity of spirit. We have laughed and cried. I wish we could
respond personally to all of you. But we are so glad we’ve found each
other. It’s a tired word, but probably the right one: We are blessed.

If you’d like to take a peek at some of those who have contributed so
far, check this out:

http://www.overtherhine.com/makearecord.php

We’ll do our best to update the list every few days!

We are going to book flights. Our friend Michael Wilson is planning to
come along for a few days and make photographs of the proceedings.

Let’s make a record indeed.

There is still time for anyone interested to be part of this unfolding
adventure. There are still tickets available to the special concerts
we’ve planned.

Swing by www.overtherhine.com to check it out if you’re curious!

Finally, (I mentioned this in my last letter and some of you have been
asking) to help make this next chapter possible, Karin and I are
selling some of the vintage musical instruments and recording gear that
we’ve collected over the years including:

+Our first Hammond Organ and Leslie (Films For Radio, OHIO etc)
+Our antique Estey Pump Organ (The Darkest Night of the Year)
+Our funky Vox Super-Continental Organ (OHIO: When You Say Love)
+Our Maestro Echoplex (Films For Radio, The Cutting Room Floor et al)
+Our Baldwin Acrosonic Spinet Piano (We bought it because we wanted a
piano that sounded like the one John Lennon used to record Imagine.
This piano showed up on some of my solo projects, and I wrote the new
song Oh Yeah By The Way on it…)
+Our old ADAT Recorders (used to record Good Dog Bad Dog, Films For
Radio et al, viva 1990’s)
+Our vintage drum machines
+And lots of odds and ends including some of the keyboards that we’ve
toured with over the years, miscellaneous studio tidbits…

We’ve enjoyed the above. It’s time to let them go and let someone else
enjoy them for awhile. You can read some of the anecdotes I wrote about
the above if you’re interested. A little bit of OtR recording history…

It’s a veritable vintage pink elephant sale. Takes me back to my
Hartville, OH, flea market days. Here is the auction already in
progress:

http://shop.ebay.com/plunderpot/m.html

Well, it’s night two at SPACE in Evanston this evening. Then St. Louis.
Then Ft. Wayne. Then home to the farm to prepare for recording.

So good to have you along for the ride.

Peace like a river,

Linford and Karin/Over the Rhine

PS: Pls share this letter freely as you see fit.

PPS:
To manage your subscription to the Over the Rhine newsletter please
visit: