[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine's West Coast Tour Begins Tonight

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Fri Nov 12 14:47:08 EST 2010

Over the Rhine’s West Coast Tour Begins Tonight

Greetings friends,

What can I say about our train trip that recently came to an end? We
had folks fly in from Sweden, Germany, England, Canada, Alaska and all
over the USA, for a musical ride through the American Southwest. A
beautiful group of people - so many memorable conversations, much
laughter, and I’ll be the first to admit a few tears were shed along
the way at the wonder of it all.

In the night desert a few of us would hang off the last car in the open
air and there were so many bright stars it almost hurt our eyes.

Yes, we lifted glasses as we rolled through the night. We watched
friendships form in front of our eyes. All the rail cars were built in
the 1950’s including the old dome car with the glass roof, so there was
a rhythm to everything that was felt deep in the bones.

There were a few small miracles. I met the daughter of my father’s best
friend on board, and we exchanged many stories and memories of Henry
and John. And when we arrived at the amazing La Posada Hotel in
Winslow, Arizona, we met the owner, a prolific painter, Tina Mion, and
discovered that she had often listened to the music of Over the Rhine
while she worked. We toured her studio and private gallery space and
marveled as she beautifully deconstructed her paintings in front of our
eyes. She had worked on one triptych for 54 days without talking to
another soul. An artist totally immersed in her work…

It was a true adventure, and we’re already talking about next year so
stay tuned. Thanks to Swan Dive and Lucy and Mickey and Michael and
Lynn for joining us, and to Charlie for dreaming the whole thing up,
and to all who made the week unforgettable.

With our feet back on terra firma we now begin our tour up the West
Coast. Please come find us as we preview songs from our
soon-to-be-released new record, THE LONG SURRENDER, and pull a few
faves out of an old, well-worn hat. It wouldn’t be the same without you.

Peace like a river,

Linford and Karin

+++

THE LONG SURRENDER PREVIEW TOUR

(Special guest for all shows: Lucy Wainwright Roche)

Tonight! Friday, November 12, 2010, THE TROUBADOUR, Los Angeles, CA.
Some really good rumors: Joe Henry, our producer, is going to join
Karin on a few songs. Another very special guest is planning to sing a
duet with Karin - a song called Undamned. (Hint: she sang on the new
record.) And Loudon Wainwright is planning on sitting in with Lucy on a
song. It’s shaping up to be a very special night. Doors 8pm. Lucy 9pm.
OtR 10pm. Join us at this historic musical landmark.

Saturday, November 13, GREAT AMERICAN MUSIC HALL, San Francisco, CA

Monday, November 15, WOW HALL, Eugene, OR

Wednesday, November 17, ALADDIN THEATER, Portland, OR

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, November 19, 20, 21, THE TRIPLE DOOR,
Seattle, WA

Pls visit OvertheRhine.com for more. (Including dates in December.)

Lookin’ forward!

PS Please share these dates with cousins, siblings, friends, parents,
sons, daughters, love interests and so forth. Tweet, post and forward
freely. Bake some molasses crinkles and fold a copy on top of the
cookie jar, the kitchen smelling of ginger and cloves. Slip the dates
in a pocket of a well-worn raincoat. Hang them on the refrigerator door
along with pictures of the border collies. And finally, our favorite,
line the bird cage with these words on crisp white paper and let the
white doves crap all night long.