[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine's New Record: The Long Surrender (and more)

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Mon Feb 7 22:39:55 EST 2011

Hello friends,

Last year when an ice storm came through this part of Ohio, it turned
our 5-acre field of waist-high frozen weeds into a junkyard of
discarded chandeliers. Every growing thing was leaning over, bending a
knee, covered in heavy glass. There it all was the next morning,
sparkling in the sun. I had to squint my eyes.

When my brother Conrad delivered milk in Holmes County, Ohio, I rode
along with him one dark afternoon after an ice storm, and whenever his
milk truck crashed into low-hanging ice-covered branches, it sounded
like three dozen Pepsi bottles smashing on the windshield. It was
deafening and fabulous.

But beauty is always dangerous, and when the rain started freezing on
our trees a week ago, we wondered what the outcome would be. Our Norway
spruces slowly started to sag as ice formed on them from tip to toe.
The red maple limbs reached low as if they were straining to pick
something up out of the snow.

When everything is coated with ice, I worry about the birds that winter
here on the farm. We do leave the edges wild, and I think we amuse our
neighbors by sometimes letting entire fields go to seed so cardinals
and quail and mourning doves and finches have plenty of cover and
plenty of winter food to forage.

But what do the birds eat when everything is covered in a half-inch of
ice?

Karin encouraged me to fire up our generator before the storm so that
we could power at least part of the house if the lights suddenly went
out. She’s usually the one thinkin’ ahead around here. It took a few
pulls on the rope, but seemed to run fine after I put some fresh gas in
the tank.

We hunker down in the wintertime, me in a heavy Irish sweater made of
un-dyed black sheep wool, Karin in layers too numerous to name, a thick
ceramic mug of something warm nearby always. And my goodness the dogs
sleep a lot.

Our friend Justin described our dogs as alternating quite suddenly
between

Deep. Winter. Sleep.

and

UNBRIDLED ENTHUSIASM!

It is often one or t’other come to think of it.

Well folks, can you believe it’s February 7th?

In our world, I’ll tell you what day it is: It’s the eve of the
official release of our latest offering:

The Long Surrender.

Yes, that’s got a nice ring to it, if I say so myself. There’s fresh
snow on the ground here at Nowhere Farm. We’re safe and warm. And
grateful:

Grateful that we’ve made it this far together; grateful that we’re all
still here…

What do you say we lift a glass of something good to the occasion?

Again, our thanks to all of you who pitched in in advance to make The
Long Surrender possible. Our thanks to all of you who will go out of
your way to find this music, spread it around, give it a life. Without
you, we’d be homeless, as my wife still likes to say.

And special thanks to Joe Henry, engineer Ryan Freeland and all the
musicians who blew the seams out of the songs.

Here’s all the latest news, and we hope to see you soon!

THE LONG SURRENDER – OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE – FEBRUARY 8, 2011:
We officially release the new Over the Rhine project, The Long
Surrender, into the world. If you’d like a CD in a deluxe digipak
delivered directly to your door, order it from overtherhine.com, and
we’ll ship it out immediately.

If you haven’t yet heard The Long Surrender, it’s now streaming at
overtherhine.com, from beginning to end in real time: “The Laugh of
Recognition,” all the way through “All My Favorite People,” and
“Unspoken.”

Play it loud.

THE LONG SURRENDER – DELUXE GATEFOLD VINYL – FEBRUARY 8, 2011:
We have a beautiful limited vinyl edition of The Long Surrender – two
180 gram records in a striking gatefold jacket (thanks to the bold and
gorgeous photographs of Michael Wilson). The vinyl edition is also
available directly through overtherhine.com, and will ship immediately
to your doorstep.

THE LONG SURRENDER – DELUXE BOXSET EDITION – COMING SOON!
We just heard from the factory that these will be shipping to us in the
next few days. This is the hope chest version of the record – a lovely
box with both vinyl and CD copies as well as a large expanded book of
Michael Wilson’s photographs that opens like an accompanying silent
movie. Once we get these to the donors that ordered them, we’ll be
making additional copies available at overtherhine.com. Stay tuned.
Only 500 total copies exist.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 8 - RELEASE DAY FESTIVITIES:
At 1:30pm Eastern, Karin and I will be doing an interview with John
Patrick at WNKU, 89.7, 104.1 and 105.9 fm. You can stream the interview
live at wnku.org.

NPR: All Things Considered will be running Melissa Block’s interview
with Karin and Linford Tuesday, early evening, February 8th, during
their national broadcast.

FREE RELEASE DAY CONCERT: Tuesday, February 8th: At 7pm, Karin and I,
along with Nick Radina, will be performing a free, living room concert
at Joseph-Beth Booksellers, 2962 Madison Road in Cincinnati, playing
many of the songs from The Long Surrender, and more… (We’ll be signing
CD’s and giving away posters to all in attendance. Hope to see you!)

ADDITIONAL FEBRUARY DATES: (Check out overtherhine.com for all the
details…)

Wednesday, February 16, Memphis, Tennessee, Folk Alliance, (Sirius/XM
live concert broadcast) with Paul Thorn and Ruthie Foster (tickets
available)

Friday, February 18, Louisville, Kentucky, Noon: Free LIVE LUNCH
concert at WFPK. (Listen online at WFPK.org)

Friday, February 18, Louisville, Kentucky, 6pm: Free in-store
performance at Ear X-tacy!

Saturday, February 19, Nashville, Tennessee, 5pm: Free in-store
performance at Grimey’s!

Sunday, February 20, Nashville, Tennessee, Third & Lindsley: Live
concert broadcast on WRLT. With very special guest, Kim Taylor. Tickets
available now.

Over the Rhine MARCH AND APRIL TOUR DATES (full six-piece band) –
posted at overtherhine.com, tickets on sale now:

*March 25, Boston, MA, Café 939 at Berklee
March 26, New York, NY, Highline Ballroom, An evening with Over the
Rhine
*March 29, Philadelphia, PA, World Café Live
*April 1, Pittsburgh, PA, Mr. Smalls Funhouse
April 2, Akron, OH, Musica, An evening with Over the Rhine
*April 5, Ann Arbor, MI, The Ark
*April 7, Milwaukee, WI, Turner Hall
*April 8, Chicago, IL, Lincoln Hall
*April 9, Madison, WI, Majestic Theater
*April 10, Minneapolis, MN, Cedar Cultural Center

*With very special guest, Lucy Wainwright Roche

April 29 and 30, Cincinnati, OH, Aronoff Center, Over the Rhine
performs with the Cincinnati Ballet: featuring many of the songs from
The Long Surrender as well songs from Drunkard’s Prayer, OHIO, The
Trumpet Child and more. (Three different choreographers offering world
premiers.)

And skipping ahead…

September 22-30, New Mexico and Colorado: Over the Rhine –
Conversations on a musical train. We’re teaming up with the fine folks
of Roots on the Rails for another unforgettable train adventure. We’ll
be joined by our friends Mary Gauthier, photographer Michael Wilson,
naturalist Lynn Neal, and more TBA. Join us for a truly unforgettable
week. Tickets available at:

http://www.flyingunderradar.com/

Hope to see you!

(Stay tuned for more 2011 tour dates!)

Well, I think I’ll venture out for a night walk in the “close and holy
darkness” and then head on up to bed. Big day tomorrow…

Peace like a river, Love like an ocean,

Linford and Karin

PS Please pass the above information around and share freely: Orphaned
believers, skeptical dreamers, you’re welcome. You can stay right here.
You don’t have to go.