[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine Spring Update: Concerts, New album, Trains

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Tue Mar 22 23:54:08 EDT 2011

Hello from Ohio,

Hope you’re enjoying Spring so far.

This past Saturday night, we gathered with a few friends on Nowhere
Farm
to watch the swollen perigree moon rise. And rise!

Then we moved to what Karin likes to call her Winter’s Funeral Pyre.
Earlier, we had gathered up armloads of fallen branches out of the
woods,
and then hauled a few loads of split wood, and finally arranged them
all carefully
in the fire pit around last year’s Christmas tree. After the moon was
well up, we struck a match
(Ohio Bluetip Strike Anywhere) and watched winter go up in sparks and
flame.
We told a few tall tales. Laughed in the cool night air. Eventually, we
lifted our glasses
and said goodbye to the long winter and fully embraced the idea of
spring.

And sure enough Sunday I was out walking after dark.
There was a warm breeze blowing. An owl was calling.
The peepers were holding their first round of auditions.

And now the daffodils are in bloom. The red maples are budding.
The grass is trying to remember what green feels like. We’re believers.

And with the sap rising all around, we have packed our suitcases full
of songs
from The Long Surrender, and will soon venture out to find you.
See if we can chime in and help something bloom; help the season change.

The band and crew arrived in Cincinnati today. It was time to blow the
dust off.
I always forget how good it feels, leaning into the songs. Leaning into
a good band
is like leaning into a good dancing partner. All of a sudden you want
to stay up late.
You want to see what happens.

We certainly hope to see you. Soon.

Here’s the dirt.

Over the Rhine’s MARCH AND APRIL ~ LONG SURRENDER TOUR DATES
(with full six-piece band):

This Friday (!) March 25, Boston, MA, Café 939 at Berklee
This Saturday, March 26, New York, NY, Highline Ballroom,
*Sunday, March 27, Washington DC, The Birchmere
*March 29, Philadelphia, PA, World Café Live
*April 1, Pittsburgh, PA, Mr. Small’s Funhouse
April 2, Akron, OH, Musica
*April 5, Ann Arbor, MI, The Ark
*April 7, Milwaukee, WI, Turner Hall
*April 8, Chicago, IL, Lincoln Hall
*April 9, Madison, WI, Majestic Theater
*April 10, Minneapolis, MN, Cedar Cultural Center

*With very special guest, Lucy Wainwright Roche!

(Some of you have heard that we were planning a short tour of Japan in
mid-April.
  Those plans are currently on hold. Our thoughts and prayers continue
to be with the noble people
of Japan during this time of ongoing loss and recovery. We’ll post more
info as we’re able.)

INFAMOUS LOVE SONGS:

April 29 and 30, Cincinnati, OH, Aronoff Center, Over the Rhine
performs with the Cincinnati Ballet:
20 songs from The Long Surrender, Drunkard’s Prayer, OHIO, The Trumpet
Child and more.
(Three different choreographers offering world premiers.)

(And check out OvertheRhine.com for more dates in May.
Fear not if your city isn’t yet included. More to come.)

GOOD DOG BAD DOG Live:

And now this!

As part of our fundraising efforts last year, we performed GOOD DOG BAD
DOG
 from beginning to end in front of a generous audience in Ric
Hordinski’s beautiful Monastery Studio.
It was a hot and sweaty June night, and we taped every note.
We are now making the recording of this special concert available for
download here:

http://overtherhine.portmerch.com/stores/home.php?cat=325

Hard to believe that 2011 marks the 15th Anniversary of the release of
Good Dog Bad Dog,
a record that has continued to surprise us with its life force again
and again.
We think you’ll dig the show!

(And we hope to mark GDBD’s anniversary at various points throughout
the year.)

Lookin’ forward:

OtR TRAIN RIDE, Colorado Mountains, Music, Hot Springs, Anyone?

September 22-30, New Mexico and Colorado: Conversations on a musical
train.
We’re teaming up with the fine folks at Roots on the Rails once again
for another train adventure.
Last year we had fellow travelers fly in from Germany, Sweden, the UK,
Canada,
Alaska and from all over the USA. We’ll be joined by two incredible
songwriters:
Mary Gauthier and Richard Shindell. Photographer Michael Wilson and
naturalist Lynn Neal
will also be on board. Join us for a truly unforgettable week. Tickets
available at:

http://www.flyingunderradar.com/

Finally, again, we owe a debt of gratitude to all of you who pitched in
last year
to help make The Long Surrender. (And, of course, our immense thanks to
all
who have embraced this new music, and helped to give it a life.)

We thought you might like to read a few excerpts of what critics have
had to say about this record
that we couldn’t have made without you. It’s always important to take
reviews with a grain of salt,
but on the other hand, if there are people that listen deeply and have
affirming things to say about the work itself,
it certainly helps get the word out. Enjoy. If you helped make this
record, these are your reviews too.

(And by the way, Please feel free to pass this letter around and share
freely:
Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers, you’re welcome.
You can stay right here. You don’t have to go.)

Peace like a river, love like an ocean,

Linford (and Karin)

+++

Press Quotes: Over the Rhine | The Long Surrender

  “Twenty years after their recording debut, rural Ohio-based
singer/songwriters
Linford Detweiler and wife Karin Bergquist and their associates have
delivered a set of mature,
graceful and sad songs that in a just world will win them wider
recognition.
Working with producer Joe Henry, they use intimate, soulful
arrangements
to showcase Bergquist’s achingly beautiful voice.” —USA Today

“There may be no more soothing voice in music than Karin Bergquist’s.
She could be interpreting jazz standards, but fortunately she applies
that balm
to her and husband Linford Detweiler’s beautifully languid originals,
which invoke hard times and celebrate the survival of the least fit . .
.
when a Lucinda Williams duet isn’t even The Long Surrender’s high
point,
things have gone very right.”
—Entertainment Weekly

  “a marvelously evocative effort, one that recalls the torch song
epiphanies of Billie Holiday,
Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald . . . Sparse, sultry and yet
undeniably mesmerizing,
The Long Surrender is a clear victory for all concerned.”—Blurt

9.2 (out of 10)
“the most emotionally raw and musically nuanced [album] of the band’s
fine career
. . . Over the Rhine have pieced together a lovely, heartbreaking, and
ultimately uplifting musical mosaic.” —Paste

* * * * (out of four)
“a work as exquisitely beautiful as Van Morrison’s most graceful
efforts.” —Los Angeles Times

“vintage Over the Rhine — introspective, hook-filled songwriting,
drawing on a diverse musical heritage
anchored by Karin Bergquist’s gorgeous emotive vocals. It is a formula
that has served the husband-wife team
of Bergquist and Linford Detweiler well . . . The production is one of
the band’s more intricate,
polished efforts thanks to producer Joe Henry.”—The Cincinnati Enquirer

“Over the Rhine is one of the best husband/wife duos since
Richard and Linda Thompson, and The Long Surrender proves it.”
—Ink19.com

Imagine a sultry songbird who’s at the same time ballroom-elegant and
back-alley mysterious . . .
[Bergquist’s] cracked, unbridled emotion drives such pieces as the sexy
“Rave On,”
 just one perfectly dramatic example of the duo’s uncommon wordplay.
Detweiler plays diamond-chip piano notes, and the brilliant
accompanists
include string genius Greg Leisz and muted beat-keeper Jay Bellerose .
. .
Eventually, there’s no denying any of the sweeping magnificence of Over
the Rhine.” —Hittin’ the Note

-more-

* * * * (out of five)
“The songs of The Long Surrender are country-based,
atmospheric treasures full of passion and featuring nothing but the
finest musicianship . . .
If you’ve never heard of or listened to Over the Rhine,
The Long Surrender is an excellent starting point.” —bullz-eye.com,
esdmusic.com

“aggressively beautiful, like those ’60s protesters who confronted
soldiers with flowers  . . .
it becomes useless to resist The Long Surrender.” —Newsday

“one of the most literate bands in indie rock. Joe Henry . . .
is the perfect producer for the group’s melancholy chamber cabaret . .
.
Heartbreakingly beautiful.”
 —Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Hear Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist interviewed by host, Melissa
Block, on NPR’s All Things Considered:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=133595205&m=133595204

If you’d like to hear Rolling Stone Contributing Editor Anthony
DeCurtis
discuss The Long Surrender with Claudia Marshall on NYC radio station
WFUV, check out:

http://www.wfuv.org/music/musicreview

In the meanwhile, we’ll keep celebrating “the survival of the least
fit…”

THANK YOU.

L&K