[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine: Hello From Santa Fe

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Sat Jul 30 15:45:35 EDT 2011

Dear extended musical family,

Hello from Santa Fe – where we just lingered over a gorgeous brunch at
Pasqual’s, with dear friends Barry Moser and Emily Crowe. Wrote the
letter below a few days ago at the farm, but didn’t get it mailed
before we hopped on the plane… xo.

+++

Woke up this morning on the farm, on the blurry edge of the world, mist
rising off the fields, the embryo of a new day breaking open, pink and
lavender spreading like a hopeful rumor in the east. A glowing crescent
was clinging to the edge of the still-high moon like a spooning lover.
A patient hawk sat silent in the dead elm, the goldfinches waking up,
the first hummingbirds arriving at Karin’s feeders, thrumming the
invisible harp of the world with their wings.

The morning smelled like a freshly opened bottle of wine – leaves,
earth, the damp woods, berries, grass.

There is still more than enough beauty in one morning alone on earth to
break a heart wide open.

We’ve missed you.

There can be no doubt that it’s summertime, but I am reminded again of
something I once read:

For every person who has ever lived there will come, at last, a spring
he will never see. Glory then in the springs that are yours…

I suppose that could be changed to, Glory then in the seasons that are
yours.

This past week I heard something that was new to me: an adult dove
teaching an adolescent dove to sing. Such a willing student trying to
find those five notes! Its voice was too high, and it couldn’t do the
elongated yodel near the beginning, but the teacher was patient. Over
and over it would call, and the younger dove would do its (laughable)
imitation (which sounded almost owl-like). And then, finally, it found
its lower register, and that yodel happened. It was sort of like the
world stopped spinning for a moment when that discovery was made.

The next day they were at it again, but it didn’t take as long for the
song to begin to fall into place.

I hope our songs embody moments of discovery like that, rather than
just reporting on discoveries already made.

Speaking of birds, last time, I wrote about the two ducks that walked
into a bar, arriving at our concert in Dayton, and your letters in
response were amazing. We need to figure out how to do a public “mail
bag” one of these days, so that we can share some of what finds its way
into our mailbox. Thank you to all of you who wrote – so many amazing
notes and letters.

If there’s some bit of correspondence you want to pass our way:

otrhine at aol.com

(Please forgive us in advance if we are unable to respond to everything
personally, but we make a point to read and receive everything as we’re
able.)

Well, it’s the Wild West out there when it comes to the music industry.
Feels like everything’s getting shot up, welcome to the gold rush,
everyone racing toward the next horizon, unsure what’s ahead, hoping to
get there (where?) early, hoping to cash in somehow.

Some days it’s hard to remember that we wanted to do this because we
love music.

But I guess I always believed that if we continued to grow as
songwriters, if we insisted on trying to make interesting records to
the best of our ability at the time, if we remained open and curious in
spite of all the mind-numbing marketing, we would somehow not only make
a living, but a life, and the way forward would be revealed. So Karin
and I do try to lean still into the heart and soul of the matter: the
songs themselves.

And I’m happy to report that there are some new songs arriving,
whispering to themselves along the wild edges of things. It certainly
feels like something is making itself known.

Much more on that soon.

And we continue to dream out loud about if, how and when we might begin
sharing Nowhere Farm with our extended musical family. We still find
ourselves occasionally wondering as to whether this place could be
shared with other writers, other music lovers, a place for the
occasional concert in the open air. Maybe we could have the Amish help
raise a barn that would be used as a venue, a place where we could host
small concerts, and workshops. Or maybe we could offer a writer who was
finishing a book a little hermitage on the edge of things. Gather
around a fire in the evenings and compare notes, or not. Maybe our
paths would cross when I was out walking Porter.

And then we would eventually just leave it all to a foundation of some
kind and others could use it after we were long gone. We could plant
some trees that would outlive us.

We’re having a lot of conversations. Maybe the way forward will be
revealed.

But yeah, regardless, we miss you and wanted to check in.

Here are a few other announcements, and then I really must finish
packing for our trip to Santa Fe.

SANTA FE, THIS SATURDAY

This Saturday, July 30, Karin and I will be performing a special show
at Sol Santa Fe…

Then beginning Monday, we’ll be leading our weeklong songwriting
workshop at St. John’s College along with other writers, painters,
poets etc, many of whom we have come to call dear friends. Our eighth
consecutive year at The Glen Workshop: amazing.

UPCOMING TOUR DATES

Keep an eye out at overtherhine.com for much more soon regarding our
touring plans this late summer and fall. Many exciting firsts, and
returning to some favorite haunts as well. We’ll be posting upcoming
concerts in the next few weeks.

CONVERSATIONS ON A MUSICAL TRAIN

It’s not too late. There are still seats available. Check out this
amazing link and please tell your friends, family, anyone in desperate
need of a soul-refreshing change of scenery:

http://www.flyingunderradar.com/rails/FT11NG.htm

Yes, what can we say about our train trip this September 22-29? Meet us
in Albuquerque as we travel into the Rockies of Southern Colorado.
We’ll be riding legendary, high-altitude narrow-gauge steam trains just
as the aspen leaves are turning golden, riding through some of the most
beautiful landscapes on earth. In the evenings, we gather around for
music. In Pagosa Springs, we’ll rest in those hot springs under the
stars for a spell…

We’ll be joined by songwriter Mary Gauthier: Find Mary’s song Mercy
Now, a song that continues to be timely and prophetic, one of the great
songs of our generation, and you’ll discover why Mary is on board.
She’s juicy and wise, a fellow student of life.

Folk singer Richard Shindell will be joining us. A few of our friends
are crazy about his songs. We’re curious, and look forward to meeting
Richard and hearing his music under such unique circumstances.

Photographer Michael Wilson will be joining us again. Michael has been
an important musical mentor and longtime friend to Karin and I. If
you’ve enjoyed his photographs in our (or many others’) album packages
over the years (or found any of his books), you’ll know why he is one
of the great, highly sought-after photographers working today. Michael
will be making individual portraits of all who ride the train – a
memento of an unforgettable week.

Karin’s childhood friend, naturalist Lynn Neal, will be on board, to
help illuminate the landscape, answer questions and make us laugh.
You’ll see what I mean.

Last year we had people arrive from Sweden, Germany, the UK, Canada,
Alaska, and around the USA. Small miracles happened in front of our
eyes. Life is short – we hope to see you.

Someone reminded me that I wrote this awhile back:

The life you are meant to find will wring your heart to the point of
breaking, and then douse you with buckets of joy when you’re not
looking.

Sounds about right I suppose.

Peace like a river, love like an ocean,

Linford (and Karin), Nowhere Farm

PS Other ways of keeping in touch:

Check out Over the Rhine on facebook for (almost) daily updates, and
news tidbits.

If you’re hungry for other tiny observations, asides, headlines,
non-sequiturs, follow us on twitter:

Over the Rhine: @overtherhine

Karin: @karinbergquist

Linford: @linfordjerome

Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers, you’re welcome. You can stay
right here. You don’t have to go.