[OTR Announce] Update Letter

OTRAnnounce at overtherhine.com OTRAnnounce at overtherhine.com
Sun May 8 14:16:21 EDT 2005

Hello fellow travelers,

Hello from Nowhere Farm.

I sit in the morning sun of a Sunday with my thick, cream-colored mug of
Karin's fresh-brewed coffee. Here I am on the back porch of our new 170-year-old
house. I look out across hundreds and hundreds of acres of undulating farm
fields at a woods full of spring. Out here you don't merely notice the seasons
changing, you live the change from the inside out.

The grey wet world of winter that had us wearing three layers inside this old
farm house while we ripped up crooked floors and dug out crawl spaces with
shovels and buckets has been overtaken by a new world filled with every shade of
green, full of fresh air and light and life as far as the eye can see. The
only sound this morning is the considerable birdsong that comes at us from
almost everywhere. We've heard killdeer, redwing blackbirds, cardinals, robins,
sparrows, the noisy confabulations of grackles and starlings.

When we ate supper yesterday evening around a small table under the old maple
trees, purple martins wheeled around the chimneys and then discovered us and
came down to our level doing fly- by's three and four feet off the grass as if
to ripple the wine in our glasses with the breath from their own wings past
our ears. (Or maybe they were chimney swifts, but we thought we saw blue.)

The birds are everywhere. They nest in the eaves of the house and we hear the
hoarse squeaks of the hungry young.

***

We got our piano moved in the day before we left for the West Coast. I played
it in the old room at the end of the house and listened to the sound of the
wide-plank hardwood floors and plaster walls and divided light windows built
before the civil war. The piano sounded good, full of history. We can make music
here. And then I walked out on the porch, and there, listening less than a
foot away from the back door was a motionless, sprawled, five-and-a half-foot
black snake with bands of brown diamonds. I cannot tell you the primal chord
that this struck. I say five-and-a-half-feet, because he wasn't quite as tall as
me.

Luckily Karin was away and it took me three garden tools to dispose of the
old fellow, and there I was apologizing while I killed him, and I had to write
about the experience for most of the rest of the afternoon. I wrote the black
snake the best poem I could write for ending his life. I hope it's a good poem.

My friend Brandon said that coexistence is an ideal that cannot always be
realized. "If it hadn't been day three, and if he hadn't been a foot from the
back door..."

"But the fact that he was listening to me play the piano, a sound he may not
have heard all his life, a curious serenade coming from what would soon kill
him..."

"I have to make this farm safe for my family, for the ones I love..."

Snakes get a bad rap. I'm really glad I didn't meet him while I was lying
under the house in the crawl space, barely able to roll over on my own stomach.
(Every plumber and electrician out here seems to have his own story about the
snake in the crawl space. Our own electrician would sometimes send in his
teenage daughter. She was fearless when it came to dark, unknown spaces and would
run wire anywhere.)

There are powerful metaphors at work that make me secretly mourn his blood on
my hands.

***

It's almost too beautiful here to write. But I hope not. Is it harder to give
the world a little something beautiful when you're in the thick of it, when
there's a redwing black bird at waist level every 100 feet or so along this
gravel road we walk together as the sun sets? When the sound of the breeze in the
pines sounds like the Holy Spirit? When trees I cannot name in the distance
are covered in blossoms, each a bouquet several times my height? When a pair of
Canadian geese fly by and honk their hello's while we're having dinner under
the trees?

Karin is giving Willow a bath with the hose in the yard. Elroy got up and we
nt over and lay down behind a stone wall. He's hoping that it's not his turn
next. The dogs are confused. They think we moved to a park and will have to go
home soon. The first week we were out here, even though we were working some of
the longest days of our lives, I kept thinking we were on vacation and would
have to go back to the city soon.

The house has a ways to go. Even now, our only source of water inside is a
utility sink in the laundry room. We have a toilet but no bathtub yet. A
refrigerator but no kitchen sink. One late evening after a long sweaty day of moving,
we ran a hose from the laundry sink out to an apple tree covered in white
blossoms. Karin had bought a chrome handheld shower which we put on the other end
of the hose. I climbed a step-ladder and wrapped the handheld shower around a
branch, climbed down, went inside and turned on the hot and cold water. A
perfect shower came straight down out of our apple tree, what looked that night
like the world's very first tree, a tree drunk with the perfume of its own
budding. The moon was coming up over the roof of the house, the sky was awash in
stars. It took me my whole life to realize we were all born to bathe out doors
in the open air.

The farm is full of simple pleasures.

***

Our tour of the West Coast was very memorable thanks to all of you who found
us for those evenings of music, much of it from our new CD Drunkard's Prayer.
And it was memorable thanks to the towering redwoods we drove under driving
south from Eugene on Highway 101. And memorable thanks to the rocky beaches
along the coast covered with scrubbed driftwood in every imaginable shape, some of
the world's best sculpture washed up haphazardly on a beach, lying there
free, no admission, on the edge of an art gallery of waves on fire for miles
toward a setting sun.

I'm working on a new song that's almost done. One bit of the refrain is:

This world's so beautiful
I don't know where to begin.

This world's so beautiful
I can't tell what shape it's in.

You all filled the rooms we played in Seattle all the way to San Diego with
expectation and energy. We were way overdue for a trip out west. Thanks for
giving us such a warm welcome back. You were undoubtedly some of the best
audiences we've played to in over 10 years of touring. Thanks for the many tiny
treats: the flowers, wine, cigars, books etc.....

We couldn't have moved out to this farm without the community of friends that
gathered around us and helped pack, helped work on this house, helped us
move, helped us tour. We couldn't have moved out to this farm without the
community of all of you who have discovered our music and helped give it a life. We
thank you all. We have been blessed with so many good and generous people.

***

This week we'll be heading to Florida for four shows, and then a week from
today, we'll be playing Atlanta. We do hope you'll come by and share some of
these songs with us. We've got a very gifted group of musicians out right now,
and the songs feel very much like living things. You can burn a painting and it
disappears. You can't burn a melody. A melody is one of those unseen, eternal
things that we can't touch with our hands. Thanks to Rick and Devon and Kim
for their good company and musicianship, and thanks to our crew: Chris, Drew and
Ryan. (Good luck Ryan with your new chapter.)

Stop by overtherhine.com for the particulars on shows this week in
Jacksonville, West Palm, Stuart, Orlando and Atlanta. Some of these places we've never
played before and aren't quite sure what to expect. We hope to see you. We're
looking forward to it.

When we work, we travel from city to city. Now when we come home, we
disappear, leave the city, breathe deep, slow down a little. It feels like the best of
both worlds. There have been many moments when we were overwhelmed, a bit
afraid that we had bitten off too much--too many unknowns. But now we're here at
Nowhere Farm, and this hard-won moment is drenched with peace and
rejuvenation.

Thanks for listening and may you all discover your own doorway to true joy,

Linford for Over the Rhine

PS You can still order our new CD, Drunkard's Prayer, through
overtherhine.com. Our sincere thanks to all of you who pre-ordered. That was a huge help to
us. Most everyone got their CD on or before the release date as planned, but
one shipment of Drunkard's Prayer was lost and our label couldn't track it down
for love nor money, which resulted in a delay. We apologize to the few who had
to wait. We also ran out of stock on a few items because of the overwhelming
response. We really appreciate your generosity. Just to clarify, it wasn't the
staff of Pastemusic.com that was at fault. And we really do feel like we've
got the few remaining bugs worked out at this point for the future. Our
audience is growing, and it's hard to keep up sometimes. Thanks again and we hope to
see you soon somewhere down the road.