[OTR Announce] Over the Rhine Big Weekend/New Record

Announcement list for the band Over The Rhine otrannounce at overtherhine.com
Tue Dec 14 21:00:39 EST 2010

Hello friends,

I’m sitting alone at the Iris Book Café on Main Street in the
neighborhood of Over-the-Rhine on a dark, December, Tuesday night.

Baby It’s Cold Outside.

Karin is running her bundled errands in the city. We spent her birthday
at home yesterday, happy to be back safely from Chicago, unpacking,
doing laundry, getting the dogs to bay excelsior from time to time in
the kitchen. They can make a racket if we put them up to it.

What an amazing string of concerts that was. It’s all still ringing
faintly in my ears. Thank you to all you who found us and completed the
circle so beautifully. Amazing. Really.

The apartment I kept for 10 years is about a block south of here. It
was in that third-story bedroom overlooking Main Street that we pushed
the “record” button for the very first time to see what would happen if
we did.

This neighborhood was like a foreign country to me then. I had grown up
in a family with a father who would pull the car over to the side of
the road to admire an old growth deciduous tree, but here on Main
Street, back in the day, I couldn’t see a single tree from my
apartment. When my father visited me that first spring, he planted
flowers in all the third-story window boxes to give us something green
to look at.

But there was music inside us and when we pushed that red button,
little did we know we would blow our hearts wide open and spend the
rest of our lives trying to pick up the pieces. Ah, but you’ve come
along, so it’s all good, right? We’ve had more than a few dances in the
kitchen together, spilled some good wine, helped the sun rise a few
times.

And we’ve got several warm evenings of music waiting for you before we
call it a year. And we’ve got a brand new record all wrapped up.

Yes. Thanks to you, we ain’t washed up just yet.
__

All the Over the Rhine news worth noting at present:

THIS (LONG) WEEKEND:

It’s a big one.

This Friday night, December 17, THE LONG SURRENDER – LIVE: We’re
playing our new record from start to finish for the first time at a
stunningly beautiful theater at The Aronoff in downtown Cincinnati.
We’ve got 7 musicians on board, and Joe Henry, our producer, will be
keeping a close eye on the proceedings. (This show is only available as
part of a Great Speckled Dog package that includes all three wknd
events. Tix on sale through this Thursday at noon at overtherhine.com…)

This Saturday night, December 18, it’s our annual holiday concert at
The Taft Theater, with very special guest, friend and ally, Joe Henry.
We’re going to blow the seams out of the songs with a six-piece-plus
band, lean deep into THE LONG SURRENDER, and pull a few familiar songs
from Snow Angels, The Trumpet Child etc into the mix.

Finally, this coming Sunday afternoon, December 19, we’re hosting our
soiree at St. Elizabeth’s in Norwood with Latte’s made in front of your
eyes (you’ll be drinking artwork), true Belgian Waffles, festive
refreshments of various sort, sparkling beverages, acoustic music and
conversation in a ragged cathedral. Join us as we bring our touring
year to a close, lift a glass together, grinning.

All of the above is designed to warm up a heart real good, make sad
people happy and vice versa, and Lord knows we need it.

THE LONG SURRENDER:

Our brand new record, THE LONG SURRENDER, produced by Joe Henry, with
an amazing cast of musical conjurers is available now exclusively at
overtherhine.com. It doesn’t officially hit record stores until the
first week of February, 2011, but we’ve got CD’s now for the faithful.
If you order, you can download the music immediately, and the CD’s ship
immediately as well.

Also, we expect to have the first shipment of THE LONG SURRENDER on
deluxe GATEFOLD VINYL in our hands by this friday. If you’d like to
order the vinyl, we’re quite sure you’ll have them to you in time for
Christmas. Drop the needle on a snowy night.

(Please note, the deluxe Box-Set version of THE LONG SURRENDER is still
in the pipeline, but will ship as soon as they arrive. Stay tuned.)

OVER THE RHINE HOLIDAY CD’s: THE DARKEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR/SNOW ANGELS

Don’t forget that we’ve recorded two Christmas CD’s that hopefully can
put more than a little warmth into a room this time of year. There was
a blind girl with braids and a black dress, lived next to me I could
tell you the address… Snow angel, someday we’re gonna fly…

OTHER OVER THE RHINE TREATS:

We have a brand new t-shirt available, designed by Ohio artist Rob
Seiffert that has, All My Favorite People Are Broken, tucked into a
broken-hearted piano. And there’s fresh-roasted OtR blend coffee, and
Trumpet Child songbooks, and a few spare instrumental records that can
make a room feel right on a winter night.

Thanks for the part you’ve played in sustaining this labor of love for
so long.

Well, yes, it’s about that time. I’m gonna head on back to the farm and
curl up early with a Jon Katz book in bed. We’ll see you on the other
side.

Peace like a river, love like an ocean,

Linford (and Karin)
__

Pls share the above freely. Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers,
you’re welcome. You can stay right here. You don’t have to go.

PS If you’re coming into Cincinnati from out of town this wknd,
photographer Michael Wilson has an amazing collection of portraits in a
gallery just across the river in Covington. Drop us a note on facebook
and we’ll get you the info if you’re interested. And Maurice Mattei has
his Pictures from Italy up here at The Iris Book Café – another
beautiful show well worth seeing. Enjoy.